Monday, November 17, 2014

11.11.14

The past several days (weeks) have been a blur. My favorite holiday (second only to July 4th) came and went, followed by Veterans Day. I count the 8th of November as a National holiday. Break the mold, disturb the norm and decide for yourself what days matter to you is what I say. I don't even need school and work off to respect that day, I feel it coming every year. I'll admit, I'm still listening to the "8th of November" by Big and Rich once a day.
That's a given though, if your heart raced like mine during that song, you would listen to it often as well. Let's switch over to Veterans Day though, wow! The coverage of that 24 hour period was strong, and inspiring. I was able to take a break from focusing on regular news coverage and remember my American heritage, reflect on the idea that a group of people came together and built a nation. And then defended it ever since.
I was delighted by the kind words regarding Veterans and our nation, the support/recognition spanned many networks and medias. I appreciate seeing and hearing others proudly boast about their military affiliated family members and friends. It happens to be a day that I feel normal for a second, like everyone else is just like me, loving the Armed Forces with all the love in them.

It was a big day for Thearmysdaughter, this blog received some recognition as well. My dad and I were asked to appear on the live show TalkingPoint (associated with the network Southern Utah LIVE).

I'm hoping everyone noticed the italicized live, live shows deserve three hundred "oh brothers" and about ninety "oh shoots". Did anyone's palms start to sweat for me when they read live show? My sympathies go out to all who appear on television in any degree. The behind the scenes, preparation, and sheer brilliance required are nothing short of incredible. Nothing. Weatherman you are my hero. Among others. The life in front of the camera is rough, and I only endured it for an hour. Send me to boot camp, I would much rather face an eternity of push-ups. I'm exaggerating, it was not torture. However, it was not anything like what I imagined it would be, and I cannot stop myself from blurting out great ideas, or points to make after the fact. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. That does not mean that I am not proud of the production, what a piece, I am honored to have been a part of it. Those involved should pat themselves on the back or at the very least drive over to Mcdonalds and devour a large fry.

My dad and I are not particularly fond of attention, we are also over-preparers. So you can imagine the chaos going on in our minds as we try to paint the best picture we can and do justice to a great show. A show that went above and behind and did their homework, their dialogue and guest speakers (soldiers phoned in via Skype) were phenomenal. I don't even know if the hosts realized how comfortable and uncomfortable they made me feel with the presence of soldiers, on one hand I was nostalgic and deeply missing my comfort zone of soldiers all around and on the other it felt like the majority of my life, as routine and regular as it gets. Good Morning America should be envious, the professionalism exhibited on the set really fit well with the topics. First things first, like the show's Facebook page, its guaranteed to hit the hammer on the nail for you at one point or another. And if it doesn't, ask it to. You won't be sorry, being a part of this show was one of the best things I have ever done, and following it has benefited me in countless ways.And it falls right in with my idea of community and participation, get out there show up, even if it means answering the hard questions on a live show. I think my brain has grown, and without a doubt my heart as well.
The link for the page is https://www.facebook.com/TalkingPointSUL/info?tab=page_info .

The link for the live show featuring myself and my dad, and a glimpse or two of my younger sister is http://southernutahlive.com/video/view/Talking-Point-ep-3-2014-11-11.  I was certain that I would show up to my college campus swarmed by people seeking my autograph, no such luck. Yet. Hahah okay, laugh because that was a joke.
This particular show in it's entirety was about communication, TALK. That's what this blog is for, and really, soldiers don't ever endure alone. Create bonds where you feel comfortable and safe to discuss with someone. Pick a person. I'm so proud of all the service members who have voiced their needs and sought comfort. I love humanizing our soldiers, I think it's one of the ways we stand out as a country, be human, feel because you are entitled to that, we all are. Whether you support our military, in war-time or instances of peace, I urge people to recognize when others are struggling and point them in the right direction. I believe in brotherhood and sisterhood. I believe in our Veterans and I believe in our civilians. Jennifer Kohler commented on the show about practicing simple gestures and the importance of outreach. I think she understands that it surpasses simple, love isn't simple. It's huge. Heed her advice phone a friend, ya'll.

Here is an iphone quality photo taken by my momma, as she watched the live show on Veterans Day, watch for yourself to get a idea of what we discussed.


No comments:

Post a Comment