Thursday, September 18, 2014

D.C.M

The people along the way.
The unsung heroes who have held my hand step by step.
I struggled for a bit on whether or not I wanted to do this. I even counseled one of my professors, which may have resulted in tears. (like at least 1o seconds worth) AH. He asked why, why....WHY. I kind of got weepy, and I just thought. It's not a secret that I'm intimidated by this endeavor, it's hugely personal. But it's more than personal, its a passion. I think it's important to share your passions, that's how they grow best (in my opinion).

It's for me, and the you, and the us..for the we. I may want to unload these feelings selfishly, but unselfishly as well.  It's not just about me or my dad or my momma, its about the whole armload, truckload, and mountain load of people that were a part of this, who ARE a part of this ( this being the whole scope of military and every piece it reaches and touches). It's about the friend in my brand new school that sat behind me in health class and smiled at me every single day that my dad was gone. Without fail.

That friend, with the warm smile...she emailed me this week. She gave me permission to share the email. The personal, touching email that I cherished after reading the first sentence.



"Well, it's 11 pm on a warm September Tuesday and I've found myself reminiscing over happy times I've had in my life. God knows I've had a lot, I've been blessed with a lot, I've been given countless do-overs and opportunities for growth. But there is one thing that I am beyond grateful for. And that my dear is you. When mama told me that we were moving to Canada I was piping mad and sad and pretty defeated. But I tried to keep in mind that someone I really cared about moved all the time, and she did it with a smile on her face and so maybe I could too. And I knew it was going to suck for a while and it sure did, but I got through. I always tried to look to you, look at how you moved around constantly and kept that head high. You've been a role model to me B, and I hope you know it. I'm not sure I believe in soulmates or destiny or fate, but what I do believe in, is 'meant to be'. I believe that my mama was meant to be my mama so that she could learn patience with the brat firecracker that I am. And I believe that I was meant to be her daughter so that I could learn kindness beyond compare and humility in all that I do. Maybe my dad being a jerk is here to teach me that people disappoint but it is important to just-keep-going. I also believe that certain people come into your life and that relationship you hold with them, is meant to be. I'm happy we got to meet in 7th grade. It's funny, it's not like you ever know when you meet someone what your friendship will be like in 10/20/30 years. But I'm very happy to say that after ten years, I still hold you in the highest regards. I know I've said it before and I'll say it again; I admire the relationships you have with your family. Back in the Wilson days, I remember thinking that you were the luckiest girl to have a mother who put you all 1st, all the time. That she was always there, always, to be your advocate in any and every situation. And looking back on that now, as a grade 7/8 young girl, it is pretty remarkable that I was able to make that ascertain. But that's how wonderfully obvious it was. Your mama loved(loves) you a lot a lot a lottttt. And that made(makes) me so happy. And now with the career I have working with foster kids, I appreciate seeing loving happy families all the more. Your quick wit and wise words never cease to put a smile on my face. But...Bottom line, you, YOU Bette Pauling humble me. And I can't say many people do. And that's sad. It's sad that maybe my heart is a little hardened. But the point is, who you are is greatness. It shines out of you. It's contagious. And I am really grateful for that, for you. Basically what I'm trying to say, is that I'm glad you're you and I'm me and I'm glad that for whatever reason, we had the wonderful opportunity to meet. love you today and always. "


Guys, it's not like I didn't believe in humility before( I did), but after this I was exploding with it. Heaping piles of humility were just surrounding me. I intend to carry that humility around with me. I need to, because I'm grateful. ...for this ^ and much more.




I'm still trying to explain this blog with perfect clarity, I don't know what it is. I just have hope of what it could be. And with people voicing things like this, I get steps and inches closer to that goal.

By the way I've been told that blog posts tend to stay in the 700 word margin, dangit and shoot. I'm gonna surpass that by a thousand every time. Whoops.


No comments:

Post a Comment