Tuesday, September 30, 2014

And the Army....

The ceremony is complete, the retirement dinners all have been attended.
The officiant said over the microphone, my father's full name followed by the echoing

RETIRED

eery, but also relieving.


The folded flag has been placed in my dad's hands, followed by handshakes and well wishes.
And gratitude.
He hasn't put on a uniform in weeks.

It has already felt final.
I mean I've seen my dad for several weeks in a row? Weird. No early morning PT runs (oh wait, he still does that) He hasn't bolted off in full uniform to run off somewhere, I say somewhere because I never really knew where "OPSEC" (Operations Security).

So.. it's felt final. But on paper, it wasn't. My dad had leave saved up, a lot of leave saved up because he doesn't take days off. Tomorrow that leave is all used up.



Tomorrow is the day that my father officially becomes a retiree. The paperwork official date is tomorrow. 
The feeling is indescribable.
Does hollow but proud make any sense?
I'm going to disregard how he feels about it, I cannot go there. I haven't ever known my dad without the Army.
But me? How do I feel about it?

I'm in denial.


I'm already anticipating my wedding day, it's an excuse for my dad to wear his uniform. Which is how I'll always remember him. I'm always going to believe the Army needs my dad.

I'm keeping this post short and sweet so I don't boo hoo.






Guys, I'd love to rewind and do it all again. That is even more validation, Army.. I'm not through with you yet.


March along, sing our song, with the Army of the free.
Count the brave, count the true, who have fought to victory.
We're the Army and proud of our name!
We're the Army and we proudly proclaim:

First to fight for the right,
And to build the Nation's might,
And the Army Goes Rolling Along.
Proud of all we have done,
Fighting till the battle's won,
And the Army Goes Rolling Along.

Then it's Hi! Hi! Hey!
The Army's on it's way.
Count off the cadence loud and strong;
For where'er we go,
You will always know



That the Army goes rolling along......

No comments:

Post a Comment