Sunday, September 28, 2014

"Well she was an American girl..."

Here's some validity.
I should write legitimacy but I cannot stand when people say legit.
So no, my vocabulary ditches that word at all costs. Lemme just tell, I'm the real deal ya'll.

Two Preschools
Three Elementary Schools
Two Middle Schools
FIVE High Schools

And two universities because I just don't know how to stay put.
The five up there wasn't a typo, swear. Five High Schools in four years.
In case someone somewhere thought I was one of those two move military brats. It's hard for me to believe they exist, but they do. I'm not one of them. I wouldn't even know what that would be like. I'm saying this partly because I want everyone to know that the military has chewed me up and spit me out alittle. It does that to all of us.

BUT, thanks for the chewing and spitting. I would never want to imagine my life any other way, or without any of those moves. I needed the lessons, I needed the bravery.

I'm also bringing this all up because I want people to know more about me, and because I helped my sister move last weekend. It was like my brain was replaying ghosts of past moves. Ironically relevant considering October is upon us, a move is a guaranteed way to spook me. Moving was on my brain this week, I figured now would be a good time to say, " I've moved, a lot."

So for this post, the facts are..
A) I've moved a crap ton, I'm basically an expert military brat. Which is something they give you an actual award for. See!







(another way to exhibit some validity, and also let me show off my certificate that I'm tons fond of, anxious to hang this certificate on my wall like a proud kindergartener) My dad frames photographs and certificates, diplomas too, if you ask nicely. I'm looking forward to having him frame this to hang proudly in my home.

B) My sister moved last weekend, I can pretend I'm pro mover, capable of removing the bitter sting of being left (since this ain't my first rodeo)..but no. Moving is suck and I miss her already. Doesn't get easier, ugh.. but (siiiiiiigh) I guesssss I'm estatically pumped for her. ( see that positive note I ended with, that there is the military curse.... push on and do it with a grin )




To wrap this up, I proved my military-ness in this post and I whined some.

Anybody else a Texas-Alaska-North Carolina-New Mexico-Florida-Italy-Utah- IAN?
Or anybody else got me beat in the multiple schools attended? If so, I want to buy you a diamond house. There's not a word to explain how rough it is. Even one move, for anyonnne, warrants a billion trophies in my eyes.




4 comments:

  1. I can so relate to the "two move military brat" comment! Like how does that happen??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaw dropping isn't it?
      I'm not exaggerating it feels like I have moved one hundred times.
      It seems like every state side military kid has moved like once or twice. I'm like, hmm I moved that many times before pre-k ... :)
      Sometimes my mom even drove me an hour to school so I wouldn't have to change schools because I had moved again.
      I just read your blog post about your brother-friend that passed, my heart is with ya'll. He's really lucky to have had ya'll. Prayers.

      Delete
  2. Let's keep you at DSU for awhile, at least until you have that diploma. We need your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bleed Navy blue. I was born in the Canal Zone, with great stories about fire fights breaking out so my dad checked out a side arm to cross the zone to the hospital with my mom in labor. Then pre-K and kindergarten in Naples, Italy, kindergarten and 1-2 in Fort Meade, MD, then 2nd in one Guam elem. then 3-4th in Guam, then the start of 5th in Washington, then finish 5th in another elementary school in California, a different California school for 6th, then bussed to a junior high in California for 7th, 8-12 was Washington, then February of Senior year we moved to Seattle, where I graduated. My mother made it fun, my family were my closest friends. We always had dinner guests on holidays. I've never met a stranger for long. That's part of why I bleed Navy blue.

    ReplyDelete